Friday 4 February 2011

ISSUE 32: OK, LETS RANT, REALLY RANT...

Issue: Ok, Lets rant, really rant, rant til we’re blue in the face, red in the gills ‘cos that’s where our creativity o’erspills

Convener(s): Lewis Barfoot

Participants: Helen Mugridge, Tamar Daly, John Pinder, Sarah Saison, Emma Deakin, Alison Goldie and Zoe Cobb


Summary of discussion, conclusions and/or recommendations:


The intention was to explore the playful positivity and benefit of ranting

Love your rants
I love rants
The rantathon

I hear people rant every day about everything. Rants about funding, rantings about being broke, rants about power, rants about this ‘n that. I hear so much ranting I’m inspired to rant myself. I want to rant about them their bloody ranting- I am the ranting anti-ranter. But I want to make this fun, playful, a catharsis, an explosion of positivity, a release of energy so that action can be taken.

R
A
N
T

Most people today wanted to rant about washing up- we wrote a poem. I sort of rapped it, or wrapped in my own film of rapping

Washing up

Washing up
Why can’t you do it now?
I don’t wanna dig for a pan for my porridge
In your sink of slimy scum.


How long could it take?
It’s one of those things that’s cruel to life
Washing up
If you don’t do it, you’re already fucked


Then a few people left and new ones passed by and said

”oh no, I don’t want to rant, that’s negative”

“What are you moaning about?”

They didn’t stay.

Excited about how I could make the process of positive ranting a more understood positive experience, I decided to patent an idea

The Global Ritual Rant Routine The GRRR. Where at the same time of day everyday, whatever country you are in, (though I guess I need to take into account different time zones) you can stop what you’re doing and rant out loud. I wanted to conduct an experiment to see if I could document the effects of the rant on the average creative type.

Alison, Zoe and Emma were my willing participants.

Enthused and bubbling with energy we discussed how cathartic the rant had been it was “pure freedom” had “no structure and was playful”. “When you acknowledge something it gives you power and the ability to move yourself forward”

We wondered how we could we cultivate “ The Art of Playful Ranting”

Then Zoe suggested we could do a rant dance, and we did.

All in all a great session, thank you all

THERE ARE THREE VIDEOS AND ONE MP3 RECORDING THAT NEED TO BE INSERTED IN TO THIS. I WILL EMAIL THEM TONIGHT. lewisbarfoot@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment