Wednesday 2 February 2011

ISSUE 118: "SIGNING IN THE DARK TIMES" - can anyone teach me some sign language?

Issue: "SIGNING IN THE DARK TIMES" - can anyone teach me some sign language?

Convener: Jen Lunn

Participants: Sophie, Minnie, Maggie

Sophie said she has been learning BSL at BSLworks. she did 1 day a week courses which ran for about 12 weeks and has done levels 1 and 2 and is intending to also do level 3.

She recommended doing it even if I thought I couldn't attend every session as she missed a couple and arranged private catch up sessions to make up for them.

We talked a little about the grammar of sign language which is exciting.

I said I had been learning some from CBeebies and Mr Tumble.

Sophie recommended See Hear.

I spoke about learning some ASL many years ago and not knowing what was the same etc...

Maggie talked about working with Graeae Theatre Co and doing signing workshops every day before rehearsals...

I learnt the signs for...

Happy
Sad
Excited
Angry
Tea
Coffee
Biscuit
Cake

And then I closed the session and went to the session on Integrating Deaf Theatre where I watched some wonderful signing and thought about how I could put this into my work and how I could work with deaf actors more and how great that would be...

No comments:

Post a Comment